How to reduce weight?
This is the question asked by millions of people world over with the increasing menace of obesity. Every one seem to be targeted at weight loss- going on diet, exercising, adopting detox diets, fainting with nearly no food for days- and still regaining weight as soon as they resume their old food habits or stop exercising. Ayurvedic weight loss is a very scientific approach towards weight loss. It believes that every body has different constitution based upon three doshas- Vaata, Pitta and Kapha. Therefore, each body needs to take and avoid food items on the basis of their body constitutes.
Diet and lifestyle that results in accumulation of fat.Other causes are-
* Lack of exercise and inactive lifestyle
* Sleeping in the afternoon
* High calorie intake or consumption of sweetened foods
Fat gets deposited in all living beings. Some amount of fat is necessary since it keeps the body moist, provides insulation from heat, protects bones from shock and stores energy. Excessive fat tends to accumulate mostly on the belly, hips and breasts. Left unattended, it leads to a vicious circle of inactivity. Obesity leads to further inactivity as obese individuals find it difficult to remain active.
First issue to address is the realization that there are different healthy weights and builds for different people. Ayurveda has a deep understanding of body types or psycho-physiological constitutions. By nature different people have different builds, which are described as ectomorph, endomorph and mesomorph physiques. Some people will have heavier builds at a certain height than others. Heavy build individuals are still healthy at weights that would be unhealthy for individuals with a genetically thinner build constitution.
- Eating according to body type- foods that are complementary to your body type.
- Exercising- not only body but also the mind (that is exactly what we do when doing Yoga)
- Discipline in eating habits- right quantity of food at right time.
- Strengthening the digestive capability through food habits and exercise.
- Using herbs and home remedies for weight loss (instead of anti obesity drugs that suppress hunge
From the ayurveda point of view weight problems are not just a matter of eating too much. Being overweight, especially severe obesity is mainly a problem of the metabolism. This has to be changed in order to have really long lasting effects.
Ayurvedic diet for reducing weight takes into consideration the level of activity of the patient and then correlates it with basic nutritional requirements. The emphasis is on a balanced diet that includes food items from each of the groups, namely, milk, meat, fruit, vegetables and cereals. Avoid curds and prefer buttermilk instead. Allow an occasional treat but keep away from fatty and sweetened foods and drinks.
Small changes in lifestyles can go a long way in increasing physical activity. Climb stairs instead looking for the lift, walk down to buy groceries and bring children back home from school on foot. These provide healthy exercise without having to join a gym. Regular sexual activity too is a healthy exercise. Afternoon sleep is a big no-no in Ayurveda. It reduces the metabolic process of burning calories.
Here at our our clinic we provide in-detail diet chart according to body constitutes and Prakrutti of individuals. Along with that there are so many herbs and herbomineral combination( stated in ancient books like Charak sanhita, Bhaishajya ratnavali etc) available according to Diseases, Prakrutti and Body type. We do recommends such combination, decoction that is developed by us from our experiences.
What we do for weight loss is—>>>
- Proper use of spices and cooking oils
- Herbal preparations for improving digestion
- Important differences in diet between breakfast, lunch and dinner
- A simple system to determine a balanced diet
- Digestion enhancing foods
- Digestion depressing food
- How to eat for maximum digestion
- Proper food combining to avoid indigestion
- Non-dietary regimens to improve digestive strength including specific yoga asanas and breathing techniques
Metabolism: Dietary and herbal recommendations help the body restore balance to metabolic processes that cleanse the physiology.
Circulation : Dietary, herbal and physical treatments like yoga asanas, massage and heat application are used in Ayurveda to remove blockages and open circulation
Panchkarma procedures are very effective in such cases. We do recommends and perform such therapy for reducing the weight. Selection of Herbs in therapy is matters of experts.