High cholesterol is medical condition in which there will be increased cholesterol levels in the blood. Cholesterol is beneficial for the body. However, an excess of it can clog the arteries and also lead to various heart diseases.
Cholesterol is available to us in two forms. High density cholesterol (HDL) and low density cholesterol (LDL). HDL is otherwise known as good cholesterol as it helps in carrying LDL to the liver where it is disposed of from the body. LDL in excess on the other hand, causes the arteries to get clogged and is also known as bad cholesterol. It is important to keep our cholesterol in check so that heart diseases can be kept in check.
for most people, a high-fat diet, obesity, a sedentary lifestyle, smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, bad life style habits are the main causes.
One of the most common effect of high cholesterol is heart diseases which results due to blockage of the arteries of the heart.
Apart from taking medications for high cholesterol you need to have a diet which is low in saturated fat, high in fiber content.
- Foods to avoid:
-Avoid oily foods like deep fried foods.
-Avoid bakery products like puffs.
-Avoid fast foods like pizzas, burgers.
-Avoid desserts like pastires, ice creams and sweets.
-Avoid use of ghee, vanaspathi.
-Fatty (saturated) foods- butter, cheese, curd, ghee and others
-Junk foods (oily and spicy foods) and carbonated drinks
-Red meat (lamb and beef) and yellow portion of boiled egg
- Foods to take:
-Include lot of vegetables, greens and fresh fruits which is rich in vitamins and minerals.
-Include foods which have whole grains like brown breads, chappathis.
-Take more of fruit juices.
-Whole wheat bread, corn, cereals, whole grains (millets, hominy)
-Fat free skimmed milk
-Vegetable oil- canola, olive and sunflower oil
Apart from medicines and dietary changes, ayurvedic remedies for cholesterol also hint at the fact that a healthy lifestyle is the key to a healthy heart.
Therefore, in order for the ayurvedic diet and medicines for cholesterol to work, one must quit smoking and drinking, get adequate sleep and finally exercise daily..
- Yoga such as padmasana, shalabhasana, and vajrasana
- Pranayam is very very helpful.
-Fast walking and aerobic
-The more physical activity you engage in, the more fat you burn and more reduction in cholesterol.
Ayurveda Panchkarma Therapy
- Panchkarma therapy of Ayurveda science in very useful in such cases. If Proper therapy according to your body constitutes is done under Ayurveda doctor, surely it will lower your bad cholesterol.
Panchkarma is not a simple procedure, One have to follow Ayurveda doctor’s advice as per your Prakruti. Vaman, Virechan, Basti and Abhyang- Swedan is very beneficial. Though selection of herb and medication plays important role in such therapies.
Ayurveda Medications according to body constitutes internally can be very helpful.
So many herbs are there in ancient text which can eradicate bad cholesterol and make ur heart healthy.
- Home made remedies
- Drinking coriander in water everyday helps in the reduction of cholesterol in the body. This regime must be continued for about a month. Then the cholesterol levels must be checked again.
- Boil a glass of milk with a piece of garlic in it. This will reduce the cholesterol and take care of cardiac pains. It has to be continued for a few days before the method begins to show its effects.
- Have cold hipbaths twice daily. These have been shown to have positive effects in the reduction of cholesterol when taken on a regular basis.
- A simple remedy is to have a single piece of garlic every morning. This takes time to show results, but the results are positive.
- Consume some almonds and walnuts on a daily basis.
As these are just a health tips, following the advise of your doctor in diet is essential. Every body is unique Constitution and according to it one must consume herbs and medications.